Abbotsford Hobby Farm Insurance: How Much Coverage Do You Need?
8 Aug 2019 Insurance Products
Learning about hobby farm insurance in Abbotsford and how much coverage you need can help you prevent unexpected costs or losses due to an accident or natural disaster. At Mountainview Insurance, they understand how important it is for you to have the right insurance. That is why they offer a wide range of insurance products for hobby farms in the Abbotsford area.
What is Hobby Farm Insurance?
Hobby farm insurance is specifically designed for small-scale farms that operate for pleasure rather than for profit. This type of farm insurance is a specialized insurance policy that covers the specific risks in this particular niche. The type of hobby farm insurance and the amount of coverage you will need depends on the circumstances of your Abbotsford farm, such as what it is used for and its overall size.
What Qualifies as a Hobby Farm?
For your Abbotsford property to qualify as a hobby farm, it must meet at least two of the following requirements:
In most cases, Abbotsford hobby farms cannot consist of more than 10 acres of workable land. Land that includes unworkable areas, such as ponds or bushes, may allow for some flexibility in determining the size of the property.
Unlike larger farms in Abbotsford, hobby farms are not intended to be a revenue source; however, it is still possible to sell produce or other goods as long as the total annual gross income (excluding renting land) is minor.
In order to be considered a hobby farm, a small farm in Abbotsford can have no more than six livestock animals. The only exception to this is saddle animals, such as horses, which are not counted towards the animal limit.
Insurance Coverage for Hobby Farms
Typical Abbotsford hobby farm insurance often includes:
- Coverage for buildings and contents—protects owner occupied and tenant buildings from unexpected events, such as fire, theft, and water damage.
- Coverage for other farm buildings—protects work buildings, silos, and other structures like sheds and workshops from unexpected events.
- Farm liability insurance—covers any personal injury or property damage to a third party caused by the hobby farm operations.
- Farm machinery and motor vehicles—covers business motor vehicles and machinery used on the hobby farm.
- Farm fencing—covers farm fencing that has been damaged by extreme weather, fire, or disaster.
- Farm business interruption—protects against loss of income followed by a property damage claim.
If you would like to learn more about hobby farm insurance in Abbotsford or about how much coverage you need, or if you are interested in one of their insurance products, please contact Mountainview Insurance at 604-557-0255 or by requesting a quote on their website. Mountainview Insurance is proud to provide high-quality insurance products to clients throughout Abbotsford and the surrounding areas.