Do Flaggers Need to be Certified?

25 Jun 2020 Traffic Control

Since construction flagging is an integral part of ensuring the safety of workers and drivers on a construction site, all flaggers need to be certified and must complete the traffic control person (TCP) certification program that is set by the British Columbia Construction Safety Alliance. At Valley Traffic Systems, they offer a traffic control person training program for people who are wanting to start a career as a TCP.

Why do Flaggers Need to be Certified?

While TCP do not require a four-year degree, they do need to be certified before they can handle the responsibility of directing traffic. The traffic control person certification program ensures that flaggers are properly trained for keeping workers, pedestrians, and drivers safe. This program is mandatory, and all participants must be at least 16 years of age and have the physical ability to perform the skills required to complete the training tasks.

Flagging Certification Course

TCP certification training courses are set by the British Columbia Construction Safety Alliance and are often offered at community colleges, technical schools, special agencies, and from private companies that hire traffic control personnel. In most cases, this course takes about 16 hours to complete over a two-day period, including a test at the end.

Traffic control person training courses cover a range of different topics, such as:

  • How to deviate traffic around a road construction project
  • Flagging procedures—single flagger and two flagger operations, hand signals, setting up flagger stations, flagging in adverse weather, flagging at night, emergency situations, etc.
  • Getting emergency vehicles through work zones safely
  • Notifying workers of hazards on the jobsite
  • How to put up traffic cones and other barricades
  • How to use “stop” and “slow” signs, including where to stand safely while holding them
  • What it means to work as a traffic control person
  • Safety rules and practices
  • How to use flagger safety equipment
  • Basic principles of traffic control—spacing, tapers, being visible to drivers, etc.

Once the course has been completed, you will be issued a three-year certificate, allowing you to work anywhere in BC as a TCP. This certification is recognized by WorkSafeBC as the only valid high-risk TCP certificate in the province.

If you would like to learn more about flagger certification, or if you are interested in taking their traffic control person training course, please contact Valley Traffic Systems at the location nearest you or by filling out a quote on their website.