Propane Storage Cage Requirements
19 Nov 2020 Warehouse Equipment
While propane is a versatile and extremely useful gas, it is important to keep in mind that it is also a hazardous and flammable material that can produce a deadly, explosive force because it is pressurized. At Commander Warehouse, they know that understanding proper propane storage cage requirements can help ensure the safety of your employees and that propane cylinders are being safely stored on your property. Their team of experts can help you select the ideal propane storage cage for your workspace, as well as answer any questions you might have about storing propane.
Requirements for Safely Storing Propane Cylinders
Since propane presents a serious hazard, it is important to ensure that all propane cylinders are being stored in accordance with the following requirements:
- Propane cylinders should never be stored near stairwells, exits, entryways, or close to high-traffic areas.
- Propane cylinders should not be stored with or close to other flammable or combustible materials.
- Propane cylinders should be stored in safety cages or cabinets in a flat area that does not collect water.
- All cylinders should be placed off the ground and on top of a surface that will not burn in the event of a fire.
- Empty propane cylinders must be treated the same as full cylinders when it comes to proper storage purposes.
- Propane cylinders must be secured with a chain or other adequate support system to prevent them from falling.
- Fire extinguishers should be kept within close proximity of the propane storage cage at all times.
Why Use a Propane Storage Cage?
In the event that a propane cylinder springs a leak, ruptures, or collapses, the cylinder has the potential to cause a huge explosion that will put employees, inventory, equipment, and buildings at risk. Propane storage cages or gas cylinder cages are an integral part of safely storing propane cylinders. This is because the cages work to put a protective shell around the cylinders, protecting them from being potentially bumped, punctured, or knocked over which could result in potentially deadly consequences.
If you would like to learn more about the different propane storage cage requirements, or if you are interested in one of our gas cylinder storage cabinets, please contact Commander Warehouse at one of their four locations across Western Canada or by filling out a contact form on their website. Their dedicated team members would love to help you select the ideal storage solutions for your unique requirements.