What are Selective Pallet Racking Systems?
27 Aug 2020 Warehouse Equipment
Selective pallet racking systems provide a flexible and adaptable storage solution that can easily be configured to suit your exact business requirements. If you do not know what selective pallet racking systems are and how exactly they can help your business, consulting with an expert like the ones from Commander Warehouse will help you decide if this type of racking system is the ideal choice for your unique business.
What is Selective Pallet Racking?
Selective pallet racking is the most common type of racking system used, as it allows for any pallet being stored in the racking system to be removed without having to move any of the other pallets. Selective pallet racking allows for pallets to be stored in two different ways:
- Direct pallet access—allows for greater efficiency for managing the different pallets being stored but often decreases the overall storage capacity.
- Compacting—allows for greater storage capacity but makes it more difficult to access certain pallets.
When to Use Selective Pallet Racking?
Compared to other types of racking systems, selective pallet racking is ideal for a wide range of applications—warehouses, retail distribution centres, electronics, auto parts, wholesale stores, etc.—as it is constructed from beams that can be adjusted to suit a range of different pallet sizes. Since selective pallet racking provides easy access to the products being stored at all times, it is a highly convenient storage solution for warehouses that require quick inventory turnaround times.
Benefits of Selective Pallet Racking
Selective pallet racking systems offer a wide range of different benefits, including:
- Access to a large range of stock keeping units (SKU)
- Access to multiple products in the same aisle
- Adjustable beam levels
- Allows for a double-deep rack configuration for high storage density
- Allows for a single-deep rack configuration for basic storage and full accessibility
- Can be customized to meet your storage requirements
- Easy to install racking system
- First-in, first-out (FIFO) inventory management
- Front loaded shelving
- Lower forklift or pallet handling costs
- No special truck requirements
- Most economical type of racking (per square metre)
If you would like to learn more about what selective pallet racking systems are and how they can benefit you, or if you are interested in one of their pallet racking systems, please contact the storage solution experts from Commander Warehouse at one of their four locations across Western Canada or by filling out a contact form on their website.